Sunday, March 29, 2009

Butterflies, cows, and aliens

What do you see in the picture below?



Here is a hint:



(edit: I learned that these aren't the monarch, but rather the painted lady butterfly - or for those of you who speak Latin: vanessa cardui)

So yesterday afternoon I let the boy outside to kick a ball around and I saw a few butterflies. Then a few more. And some more. Then a few dozen came flying by. Then I thought... that's kind of odd. Then it dawned on me this must be the monarch butterfly migration. Sure enough, as I just stood in my front yard there was a constant stream of butterfly's flying by. I mean thousands, if not tens of thousands.

Not so many that you would have to dodge them, but a steady stream of groups of 2 to 10 or so, just coming over my neighbors roof then flying over mine. Really neat. Anywhere you looked you would see 20 or 30 just heading north.

On another note, mama bear decided to break a bottle of apple cider vinegar on the counter, and luckily it all spilled down the side of the stove. I say luckily because I found a herd of cows under the stove. Who woulda thunk? Yeah, so apparently we need to add "pull out the stove and clean under it" to the more than once every year and a half chore list. And here I was thinking it was a once every other year chore! As you can tell cheerios are a big snack in our house. I thought it was because the kids like to eat them, but I guess they really just like kicking them under the oven.

So I pull out the stove and I say "yuck", which, by the way, is a signal for kids to come running. The boy looks down and says "Oh, there my cows" and grabs them. I don't know, I just find those moments odd. I would think finding cows under the stove kind of weird, but I guess when you are three years old you expect these sort of things. I wonder if he had been trying to make steak?



(Note to CPS - I got them out of his mouth as soon as I could and washed them. Nah, just kidding, I got them into the sink before he could crawl over the 220V and gas lines)

And one other random photo. I saw her and said "Take me to your leader."



She told me that I hurt her feelings, and that it was a super girl belt.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, pretty butterflies!
    You guys have more cows than we do. We always just kept them out in the field, but under the stove is a real space saver.
    I think super girl is beautiful and I miss her. Same goes for the boy who found his cows.
    Tell Mama Bear that as I read about her spill,
    I was drinking apple cider vinegar in my cup of water. I think that's a small world.

    ReplyDelete