Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bathroom Remodelling

Big week coming up here. We are getting the bathrooms remodeled and the house re-piped. Yeah, I know there is a recession going on, our portfolio was decimated by the stock market crash, and we have private school tuition payments coming up - so I thought "hey, lets blow a bunch more money and get the bathrooms redone!".

Well, maybe that wasn't exactly the rational but it is happening anyway. This was caused by the need to get the house re-piped. Our plumbing is galvanized cast iron - the insides of the pipes are rusty as all get out. While mama-bear was doing some work a few weeks ago I was in charge of giving the youngins a bath. I wanted to give them a real bath in staid of using the hand shower - this required pliers to get the tub diverter unjammed. As the water came it out is was dark red, and full of rust sediment. It took me about 10 more minutes just to flush pipe rust out of the tub. In police work they refer to this as "a clue". That and the fact that the water pressure at the street is 120 psi, but if someone turns on a tap while I'm in the shower it immediately either scalds or freezes me. Our neighbors had their pipes done last summer and you couldn't even see through them.

So, where was I? Oh yeah, we get a quote on the pipes, and our contractor lets us know how much the bathrooms would be in addition. Too much. But work is slow so he drops the price to "to good to pass up". So now we are scrambling to get tile and and bath fixtures.

So, here are some "before" pics.



The master shower. I will miss the yellow tiles and the chintzy plastic shower door (the tiles look beige in the picture, but they are really a kind of mustard and dirt mix color). Sigh... goodbye 1975.



Our master bath is all of 4 1/2" by 9", so it's tough to get a good picture. Other than the yellow tiles I'm going to miss the bizarre wall texturing. Ok, that is a lie. I can't even pretend to like it in a sarcastic way. Who? Why? What? How did anybody think this was a good look?



How do you like that vinyl flooring? Pretty cool. And you are right - that is a particle board floor underneath. Don't worry, there isn't any plywood beneath it. Quality construction. And to think Zillow says this house would sell for almost a half million dollars.



The guest bath doesn't even look half bad in this picture - it's some sort of photo shop trick or something. I should have jiggled the pipe and turned on the tub tap so I could get some Amityville Horror pictures.



Yep. The floor really does look like that. Basically it was out of date when the house was built in 1963. I think they took it right out of the "Bathroom of the Future" display in the 1958 World Fair. Any museums of American history want to get it before it gets hauled to the dumps?

I'll edit this post as the week goes on.

1 comment:

  1. Hearing about your rusty pipes causes me to miss those wonderful bathroom experiences in Nigeria. Although that wasn't rust that came out of those pipes. Not sure exactly what it was. I did learn that whenever you turned on the water to stand back 3 feet and wait 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete