Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Muir and Cookies

The boy is in the midst of heritage month in his class. Each student picks a country from their ethnic background to study and write about. The boy picked Scotland. He wrote a report and did a "bust" drawing on John Muir. He picked John Muir because of his love of nature and his saving of Yosemite. He then had to read his report to the class and make a dish from Scotland to share. He did his report on Hubby's day off, so we could go and see him do it. I took a video, but the sound quality is so low that it is hard to hear. So, instead you get a picture of the shortbread cookies the boy and I made for the kids in his class. He wanted them cut out into ice cream cone shapes. We dipped them in chocolate for the ice cream part. We left a few plain for the kids that didn't like chocolate.

The other nice part of this project is the kids being exposed to new foods through the ethnic dishes. The boy now wants me to make lumpia (Filipino egg rolls)and Japchae (Korean noodles). Each student is given the recipe for the dishes that are served. Since he brought me home the recipes, I have no excuse. I told him he will have to make them with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment